This week’s recipe From Johnna’s Kitchen is for Oven Roasted Potatoes!
Here’s a few fun facts about the humble potato:
- The potato is the world’s fourth-largest food crop, following rice, wheat, and corn.
- The Inca Indians in Peru were the first to cultivate potatoes around 8,000 BC to 5,000 B.C.
- Potatoes arrived in the Colonies in 1621 when the Governor of Bermuda, Nathaniel Butler, sent two large cedar chests containing potatoes and other vegetables to Governor Francis Wyatt of Virginia at Jamestown.
- French Fries were introduced to the U.S. when Thomas Jefferson served them in the White House during his Presidency of 1801-1809.
- In October 1995, the potato became the first vegetable to be grown in space. NASA and the University of Wisconsin, Madison, created the technology with the goal of feeding astronauts on long space voyages, and eventually, feeding future space colonies.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
9 x 13 baking dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut potatoes into small chunks and place in baking dish.
Pour Olive oil into baking dish, and seasoning, to taste.
Coat potatoes with olive oil and seasoning until well-covered.
Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until golden brown.